°C
Air:
GOLD73,245 0.25%
SILVER84,520 0.29%
USD83.25 0.12%
EUR90.45 0.08%
GBP105.6 0.15%
India vs Bangladesh Series Faces Fresh Delay as BCB and BCCI Discuss Schedule Changes
CRICKET

India vs Bangladesh Series Faces Fresh Delay as BCB and BCCI Discuss Schedule Changes

0 views
Text Size:

The uncertainty comes with only a short period remaining before the originally planned opening match, making a quick resolution important for both teams and organisers.

India's proposed white ball tour of Bangladesh is facing another possible delay after Bangladesh Cricket Board president Tamim Iqbal indicated that the dates of the series could be shifted.

The two cricket boards are continuing discussions regarding the schedule, leaving uncertainty over whether the tour will begin as currently planned in September.

The proposed series consists of three One Day Internationals and three Twenty20 Internationals. The first ODI is currently scheduled for September 3, but the Board of Control for Cricket in India has not yet officially confirmed the itinerary.

Tamim Iqbal confirms discussions

Speaking at a press conference in Dhaka, BCB president Tamim Iqbal said both boards remain in discussions about the India series.

He indicated that the dates could be moved depending on the final agreement between the two cricket boards.

Tamim's comments suggest that the tour has not been cancelled, but its proposed schedule remains subject to change.

The uncertainty comes with only a short period remaining before the originally planned opening match, making a quick resolution important for both teams and organisers.

Three ODIs and three T20Is planned

The Bangladesh Cricket Board had announced plans for India to play six limited overs matches during the tour.

The proposed schedule includes three ODIs followed by three T20Is, with matches planned in Dhaka and Chattogram.

The tour was originally scheduled for an earlier period but was subsequently deferred to September 2026.

The latest discussions could lead to another adjustment if the two boards are unable to finalise the existing dates.

Domestic tournament creates scheduling issue

One of the latest complications involves a domestic age group competition in Bangladesh.

The BCB has scheduled the Game Development Trophy at the Sher e Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur from August 28 to September 9.

The tournament overlaps with the proposed period for India's tour.

However, Tamim Iqbal said the domestic competition could be moved to another venue if the India series is confirmed.

This indicates that venue availability is one of the issues being considered while the boards discuss the final schedule.

Tour was already postponed

The India Bangladesh series has already experienced a postponement.

India were initially scheduled to tour Bangladesh in August 2025. The series was subsequently deferred, with September 2026 becoming the proposed window for the six match tour.

The BCB later announced the revised schedule, but the BCCI has yet to make a corresponding official confirmation of the itinerary.

That has contributed to continuing uncertainty surrounding the series.

Relations between the boards

The latest discussions are also taking place against the backdrop of a period of tension between the two cricket boards.

Relations had faced difficulties following issues involving Bangladesh cricketer Mustafizur Rahman and the 2026 T20 World Cup.

However, there have also been indications of improved communication between the BCB and BCCI since Tamim Iqbal became the Bangladesh board president.

Tamim reportedly visited India's BCCI Centre of Excellence in Bengaluru earlier this month, signalling renewed engagement between the two boards.

No official cancellation

Despite the uncertainty, the series should not be described as cancelled.

Tamim's comments indicate that discussions are continuing and that the dates could be adjusted.

The distinction is important because the two boards could still reach an agreement and conduct the series at a revised time.

Until an official announcement is made, the proposed September schedule remains uncertain rather than formally cancelled.

Importance of the series

A bilateral series between India and Bangladesh would attract considerable attention from cricket fans in both countries.

The six proposed matches would provide opportunities for players from both sides to compete in ODI and T20I cricket.

For Bangladesh, hosting India would also represent an important part of its home international calendar.

For India, the series would form part of its international white ball programme.

What happens next

The immediate priority for the BCB and BCCI is to finalise the dates.

If the existing schedule is retained, preparations will need to accelerate because the proposed opening ODI is scheduled for September 3.

If the dates are changed, both boards will need to coordinate venues, player availability, travel arrangements and broadcasting commitments.

The BCB has indicated that it is prepared to adjust its domestic tournament schedule if necessary to accommodate the India series.

Conclusion

India's proposed tour of Bangladesh is facing fresh uncertainty after BCB president Tamim Iqbal revealed that discussions with the BCCI over the schedule are still continuing.

The tour is currently planned to consist of three ODIs and three T20Is, with the first ODI scheduled for September 3.

However, the dates may be shifted depending on the final agreement between the two boards. A domestic age group tournament in Dhaka has also created a scheduling challenge, although the BCB says it can move that competition if the India series is confirmed.

For now, there is no official cancellation. Cricket fans will have to wait for confirmation from the BCCI and BCB regarding the final dates and venues.

The six proposed matches would provide opportunities for players from both sides to compete in ODI and T20I cricket.